Gratitude

I am grateful to be healthy and able to lead an active life. My goal is to honour and maximize the gifts that God gave me through a total commitment to my health & wellbeing.

I am commited to maximizing my potential.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I need to learn to count!

I have been relying on Super Shakes for my morning meal, and feeling pretty good about it. But I have been a little disappointed with my progress, or more accurately lack there of.

So…………..today I decided to throw my Super Shake recipe into Calorie King & just check what was going on.

OMG – I have become so enamoured of all this healthy food that I didn’t stop to think what it equated to. 569 calories! 48% of calories from carbs. Definitely a post workout meal (and I was using it pretty well every morning, regardless of when my workout was).

It was full of good stuff (Brad King High Alpha Whey, Greens+, Ground Flax, 2 c spinach, 1 c blueberries, ½ frozen banana, a spoonful of PB, a sprinkling of steel cut oats & 4 glucommanan capsules. I added the oats at the last minute trying to make it a PW meal.) Hah! Good plan that was.

And that was without the extra (large) spoonful of peanut butter I had on the side because I had just worked hard!

No wonder my weight is stuck!

Today I need to develop a new breakfast option that is quick & compliant, and of a reasonable calorie count. I am not good with eggs every day (gives me a stinky stomach). Anyone have any great suggestions????

My brain is numb, I am in shock.

The only good thing to come of this is that it reminds me “you don’t get what you expect, you get what you inspect”

I don’t want to become obsessive with tracking & counting calories, that hasn’t worked well for me in the past. But a little healthy checking is clearly in order.

2 comments:

Margaret2007 said...

I was getting a smoothie from the gym at times and asked about calorie content after buying the large size for a while...um, yeah, too many calories!!! So now I go with the small. It's amazing how those cals sneak up on a person!

My current home-smoothie is something I once measured and calculated all the ingredients to know exactly how much of everything added up to be...1 c. soy milk, 1/2 scoop soy protein, 1/2 c frozen berries, 1/2 banana, 1 Tb ground flax seed and some Stevia to sweeten...Delicious start to the day or snack taken along!

Debbie said...

Hi Cynthia, so true about the calories in shakes/smoothies. My new one now is 3 servings of fruit + 2-4 handfuls of greens and I figure the calories at about 250. Not bad. I've significantly reduced my protein so I no longer add whey. But - you could elminate one serving of fruit and add 1/2 scoop of whey?

I like your quote about getting what you inspect, not expect.